Are you looking for an easy how to waterproof suede boots solution? When the cold months roll around, whether it’s rain or snow, the moisture can mess up the material on your shoes. This is an integral part of shoe care. Suede is generally ruined by water and ice, but this doesn’t need to be the case.
When I was 12, I got a great pair of suede boots and couldn’t wait to rock them. Unfortunately, I got caught in the rain, and they got soaking wet. They never looked the same again. There was no “rocking” to be done.
I wish I had known back then what to do. I have found a couple of great ways to protect my suede from water damage. In this article, I will share with you how to waterproof suede boots. Let us look at how to do this, what you will need, how long it will take, and what you can expect. Shall we?
List of things that you may need to use:
- A suede brush to clean them. A stiff brush with metal bristles usually works well for this. The hard bristles get deep into the material and can uproot dirt well.
- Suede protection is specially made for waterproofing. Look for a silicone-based spray.
- Spray bottle (if the suede protection doesn’t already come in one).
- A suede eraser.
- A suede care kit comes in handy.
The average shoe care shop will have these things.
Step By Step Process.
- The first thing that you will need to do is to make sure they are clean. You can use the eraser for this. It helps to get rid of stains on the go. When you’ve done this, you can use the brush to eliminate loose bits of dirt.
- Brand new boots also need to be brushed down and cleaned, even if you haven’t worn them yet.
- As you brush the boots, make sure to brush in the same direction. This helps you properly remove any dirt and bits that may be in the material. It is like mopping a floor. When you don’t do it properly, you merely swish dirt around.
- The next thing that you will want to do is spray the boots. Do this outside or in a well-ventilated room.
- As you spray the boots, make sure not to soak the boots through. However, it is important to make sure that every inch of the boot or shoe is sprayed.
- Once you have done this, let the shoes dry for 24 hours.
- Then brush the boots in one direction again. This helps make them look clean and revived. This process may help to keep your boots safe from wet weather elements. A general rule of thumb is that you clean your suede as soon as it gets dirty.
Use the brush to apply the cleaning solution in a similar way to leather boots.
How Long it will take
Waterproofing your suede shoes should take up to 24 hours. Some waterproofing sprays adry instantly, but you still need to let them dry entirely.
This is the time necessary to ensure the boots dry. Each waterproofing product, however, has its specific instructions. Be sure to check those out and follow them to ensure that you are doing the right thing.
A good waterproofing technique should make your suede impervious to water and moisture. This doesn’t mean that you can go out and be careless about how you walk or exposure to water.
It means that when you do get your feet wet while you are wearing suede shoes, you don’t need to worry too much about the damage it will cause to your shoes.
Things to look out for
You want to look out for the color of the spray. Ensure that it does not have a particular color that could mess up your suede color. Clear sprays are a good buy and the safest to make sure that you aren’t adding any stains.
It is also essential to ensure that your suede is cleaned regularly and dirt isn’t left to simmer. Waterproofing shoes work better on clean shoes.
You may also want to make sure the product you chose to use is compatible with your suede. I’m paranoid, and as such, I prefer to test any new product on an inconspicuous part. This way, even if it does not go along with the material, you haven’t ruined the entire shoe.
It also helps to get reviews of the product that you intend to use. This could be by word of mouth or from online reviews. Either way, find out what people are saying about the product and what you need to be careful of.
Some manufacturers have gained a good name for themselves because of consistency and producing good results. I prefer references because I want to have somewhere to run back to if something doesn’t work out.
Also, make sure that you brush the suede in the same direction with the right brush. The right preparation of the shoe is crucial for adequately waterproofing them. You want the fibers to look lively and clean.
The suede material is often sought after because it looks good and it has a clean look. It is often used for shoes, jackets, bags, and different clothing items.
The wet months of the year can ruin your suede shoes faster than you can say jack sprat. But thankfully, some manufacturers make sprays and suede protectors to ensure that your suede is always on the right side of dry.
Keep your boots clean and take care of them. Waterproofing them can be done once a year or even once a month. It mostly depends on the product that you use and the method you choose to waterproof them.
Some products will last longer than others. Whatever your choice is, make sure that it helps your shoes last longer and still look neat. We have detailed one of how you can waterproof suede, and we hope this helps you. Happy waterproofing!